Decision No. 53/KHCNQG-QĐ dated June 22nd, 1993 of Director of National Center of Technology and Science on the establishment of Hanoi Institute of Oceanography.
Signature: Pr. Academician. Nguyễn Văn Hiệu.
Decision No. 747/QĐ-KHCNVN dated June 2nd, 2005 of President of Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology (VAST) on the seperation and name change of Hanoi Institute of Oceanography into Institute of Marine Geology and Geophysics (abbreviation name: IMGG).
Signature: Pr. Academician. Đặng Vũ Minh.
Decree No.62/2008/NĐ-CP dated May 12th, 2005 on certification of Institute of Marine Geology and Geophysics for becoming an National Science Institute under Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology.
Decision No. 42/QĐ-VHL dated February 19th, 2013 on the restructuring of IMGG. Signature: Pr.
Dr. Châu Văn Minh, President of VAST.
Decision No. 180/QĐ-VHL dated February 25th, 2013 on issuing the regulation of organization and research activities of IMGG.
Signature: Pr. Dr. Châu Văn Minh, President of VAST.
|- Research geological environment and different type of natural hazards aims to contribute to environment protection as well as natural disaster mitigation;
- Research of geodynamics and deep structure in support of exploration of mineral resources as well as marine construction works;
- Research of geophysical fields in support of national security and sovereignty of sea and islands;
- Research of atmospheric physics and physical oceanography served to construction works, environment protection, forecast and natural disaster mitigation;
- Synthesis research of resources and marine energy in support of providing scientific basis in planning development projects.
- Fundamental investigation on natural condition, mineral resources of East Vietnam Sea and adjacent areas.
- Application of GIS technology and geographical information system to manage resources and marine environment protection;
- Application of high technology in exploration, exploitation, construction and protection the marine and islands projects;
- Update and Collection the most recent studies on the East Sea supplying for research, propaganda, and sovereignty protection of seas and islands;
- Construction of marine geology and geophysics database in order to meet the need of scientific research as well as economic development;
- Development and transferring the new research results on marine science and technology in production and business; to co-operate and joint with domestic as well as international research organizations on research and development of marine science;
- Participation in evaluating process of technology and science qualification, economy and technical feasibilities of key marine projects required by the governmental agencies;
- Services of science and technology in marine geology and geophysics, and other related science fields;
- Training services of science and technical manpower in marine geology and geophysics fields, and other related science fields;
- International co-operation in marine geology and geophysics and other related science fields;
Scientific research to serve national defense and to protect national sovereignty:
- Project “Research of geology and geomorphology of Da Tay island and Spartly islands” (1998-2000) for the opening of channel entrance.
The fundamental surveys to serve the strategies to develop marine economy and management.
- Research of geology, geodynamics and mineral potential of East Vietnam Sea(KT-03-02, 1995, key national program at state level);
Research of natural disaster prevention and mitigation
- The application of remote sensing and GIS to assess the flooding level of Quang Tri Province (2001-2003);
Research of plan, management and rational use of marine resources
- Establishment of geology – geophysics Atlas of East Sea with ratio of 1/1.000.000 (program KHCN-06-04, 1998-2000);
Research of environment protection
- Construction of environment database of coastal areas of Tonkin Gulf and Khanh Hoa sea (Vietnam - Australia 1997-1999);
The other achievements in science and technology activities
- IMGG published annually collection “The studies of Geology and Geophysics”.