On February 3rd, 2012, the Executive Board of the Science and Technology Programme for Socio-economic Development in the Central Highlands (Central Highland Programme 3) held a meeting to review the programme’s activities in 2011 and implement its plan in 2012.
Prof. Chau Van Minh, member of the Party Central Committee, Party Secretary and President of the Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology (VAST), head of the programme; Dr. Nguyen Dinh Ky, director of the Institute of Geography, deputy head of the programme and chief office of the programme; Assoc. Prof. Nguyen Trung Minh, deputy head of Department of Planning and Finance and vice chief office of the programme, and the secretariat of the programme, all attended the meeting.
Participants at the ceremony also included Prof. Nguyen Xuan Thang, president of the Vietnam Academy of Social Sciences, deputy head of the programme; Prof. Dang Vu Minh, president of the Vietnam Union of Science and Technology Associations; Nghiem Xuan Minh, head of the Department of Social and Natural Sciences under the Ministry of Science and Technology; Le Quang Thanh, deputy head of the Department of Social and Natural Sciences under the Ministry of Science and Technology.
Continuing science and technology missions from the Central Highlands programme 1 and 2, the Central Highlands programme 3 is carried out from 2011 to 2015 to effectuate the policy of the Party and State on building the Central Highlands into an area solid in security and national defence, and a key economic zone of the nation; bringing science and technology to serve the Central Highlands development.
This is an essential and urgent programme to build the scientific base for socio-economic development in the Central Highlands, during national industrialization and modernization.
Prof. Chau Van Minh made a speech at the event
2011 was the first year to the Central Highlands Programme 3. It gained the following results:
- Complete framework of the Central Highlands Programme 3 and submit the Prime Minister for approval;
- Establish and complete the apparatus of the Executive Board and Office of the programme;
- Establish Advisory Board and Appraisal Board to select and complete 19 tasks out of 69 proposals based on the objectives of the programme;
- Together with research task selection, the Executive Board of the programme implement tasks such as building database on the Central Highlands; building the programme website; building regulations on organization and financial management of the programme;
- Coordinate with the Steering Committee for the Central Highlands to organize a conference to carry out the Central Highlands Programme 3 in Buon Ma Thuot City;
- Start activities to exploit stations researching tropical forest succession and improving the Central Highlands Institute of Biology in Dalat into the Central Highlands Institute of Science and Technology;
- Establish Advisory Science Council to define natural science and technology missions led by Prof. Chau Van Minh and complete 10 tasks out of 32 new proposals from institutes and universities nationwide to be carried out in 2012.
- Establish Advisory Science Council to define social science and humanity missions led by Prof. Nguyen Xuan Thang and complete 18 tasks out of 25 proposals from the Vietnam Academy of Social Sciences, the Vietnam Union of Science and Technology Associations, and several Central Highlands provinces to be carried out from 2012.
- Collect demands on international cooperation of research and the Executive Committee; Coordinate with the America Department under the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Vietnam, and the U.S Embassy to prepare for the working trip to Colorado central highlands in the US in 2012.
Prof. Nguyen Dinh Ky presents a report on activities of the Central Highlands Programme 3 in 2011
Concluding the meeting, the Executive Board expressed their hope that scientists would continue to concentrate their intelligence in order to actively grasp real demand in localities, define researching and managing tasks, check and take over at the right progress, and bring researching results into reality, contributing to bringing socio-economic effectiveness and ensuring security and national defence for the Central Highlands.
Translated by Tuyet Nhung
Link into Vietnamese version