Asia-Pacific Regional Space Agency Forum (APRSAF) is a regional forum established in 1993 to promote cooperation among Asian-Pacific countries in the field of space, contributing to promoting the development of space programmes in each country.
The forum is held every year to create conditions for representatives from space agencies from Asian-Pacific countries and international organizations to share experiences in the application of space technology in socio-economic development, information about programmes on developing and applying space technology in each country and exchange measures to promote mutual benefit cooperation in the field of space.
Vietnam has participated in the forum for many years. Especially over the past year, according to the orientation of the strategy on space technology research and applications until 2020, the Ministry of Science and Technology and the Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology held diverse activities to expand international and regional cooperation in the field of space technology.
Prof. Chau Van Minh – president of VAST, delivered a speech at the forum
The forum took place from December 3rd to 6th 2013 in Hanoi under the agreement of VAST, the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) and the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology – Japan (MEXT). With the theme “Values from space: 20 years of Asia-Pacific Experiences”, the forum focused on the application of space technology in disaster prevention, environmental protection, satellite information and education to improve the awareness of space science and technology. The sub-committees at the forum discussed:
- Earth Observation (EO): Application of space technology in remote sensing, research on issues of satellite image receiving and processing for the management of natural resources, the environment, and issues related to global climate change.
- Communication Satellite Applications (CSA): Using outer space to improve living standards, apply telecommunication satellites to serve distance training, meet the needs of communication and culture for remote areas and islands.
- Space Education and Awareness (SEA): Measures for education to improve social awareness of space science and technology, especially among the youth.
- Space Environment Utilization (SEU): Scientific research in space, especially scientific tests on international space station.
- At the general meeting, representatives from space agencies of countries in the region made general reports about results and orientations for the application of space technology in each country, reports of four professional sub-committees and discussed measures to strengthen cooperation in the region.
The hosting of APRSAF-20 is an opportunity for Vietnam to strengthen and expand cooperation on research and application of space technology, and create an opportunity for Vietnamese managers and scientists to have professional exchanges, promote international cooperation, especially in training human resources in space science and technology.
In the framework of the forum, an agreement signing ceremony between VAST and JAXA took place. In 2006, VAST and JAXA signed a cooperation agreement in four major fields, including remote sensing and the application of remote sensing; development and application of small satellite; common research toward Japan’s Modul on the space station; and improving the capacity for VAST in the field of research and application of space technology. In this revised cooperation agreement, the two sides supplemented a bilateral cooperation in the application of global position satellite.
Prof. Chau Van Minh, president of VAST and Prof. Naoki Okumura, president of JAXA, signed the revised cooperation agreement
Taking a photo
Translated by Tuyet Nhung