From 3 to 6 April 2017, CEBioS organised a GTI uptake meeting on the collaboration between entomologists from the RBINS and the Vietnam National Museum of Nature (VNMN) in Vietnam.
There is a long lasting collaboration between the RBINS and the Vietnam National Museum of Nature (VNMN). This collaboration was initiated in 2007 thanks to funding from the Belgian Ministry of Cooperation (DGD) via the GTI component of the CEBioS programme.
Since scientific research must help decision making in the field of biodiversity conservation and sustainable use (e.g. CBD Aichi target 19), results may be shared with the national and regional competent authorities of Vietnam in strong ownership. To this aim, we organised a GTI uptake ’meeting in Vietnam from 3 to 6 April 2017.
The meeting had 3 components:
- 2 days of sharing scientific results and producing a policy brief with Belgian, European (France & Italy), Cambodian and Vietnamese researchers,
- 1 day of restitution meeting to Vietnamese authorities in Cuc Phuong National Park,
- 1 day of field trip to Cuc Phuong National Park.
For the last 2 days, a total of 35 participants took part in the uptake meeting in Cuc Phuong National Park:
- 20 directors of the 20 National Parks where the research expeditions took place over the last 10 years
- 4 Representatives from the Ministries in charge of Environment, Forestry and Tourism in Vietnam
- 4 members of the RBINS (2 from CEBioS programme, M-L Susini Ondafe & Luc Janssens de Bisthoven, and 2 researchers, Jérôme Constant & Joachim Bresseel)
- 2 researchers from the Royal University of Phnom Penh, Cambodia (new South-South cooperation initiated in 2016)
- 4 members of the Vietnam National Museum of Nature (VNMN), among which Assoc. Prof. Dr. Nguyen Trung Minh, Prof. Dr. Vu Van Lien and Dr Hong Thai Pham
- 4 European researchers, 3 from France (MNHN, Paris) and 1 from Italy
- Journalists from the Belgian and Vietnamese televisions.
On Friday 7 April, Mr Geert Vansintjan, from the Belgian Embassy in Hanoi, who could unfortunately not participate in Cuc Phuong's meeting, got a full description of the meeting by Luc Janssens de Bisthoven and M-L Susini Ondafe. This description included a debriefing on the achievements of RBINS entomologists in Vietnam thanks to CEBioS financial support, and on the policy brief jointly prepared during the week with other European entomologists.
Marie-Lucie Susini, PhD
Belgian National Focal Point to the Global Taxonomy Initiative (GTI)
Capacities for Biodiversity and Sustainable Development (CEBioS)
Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences